Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Design Career

I have enrolled in industrial design because becoming a designer is the only way I see myself in the future. The main reason I chose Industrial design course is because the best time of my study life was when I studied industrial design at my high school. I still remember back in year 10 when I couldn’t find my talent and had absolutely no idea in what I wanted to study after high school. When I had to move to Canberra for years 11 and 12, it was very much different to Sydney. I moved to a small school called Burgmann Anglican school where it was much open in terms of choosing my own subjects. I had the opportunity to choose 3 major subjects and I chose Design and Technology, Visual art and Fashion and Design. I enjoyed all 3 subjects but my favourite subject was design and technology. I devoted most of my lunch and study times in the design and technology lab since I had to complete large projects. I wasn’t devoting all my time to design in order to get a high UAI (since ACT calculates all your assessment scores instead of having exams for UAI), but I actually enjoyed the study of design and I enjoyed working under pressure. It may also be because of the Industrial design teacher I had who always encouraged me and helped me in all areas as best as he can in order for me to show all my abilities. The teacher loved to see my work and every time I find myself receiving high marks I gained confidence. He helped me to find the talent that I had and he convinced me to take further study in industrial design. Before making the decision to study industrial design I was very worried because I was making the decision thinking that I found what I was good at. It made me question,’ what if the teacher thought I was talented because my year was the first year ever to graduate and since there was only 10 people in the class there was not many people to compare with and made me look like I was doing good?’ I wanted to confront someone with my portfolios asking for critical comments but after all, I couldn’t think of anything else that I was interested in. After the first semester in UNSW, I found it very different to what I have expected. Being marked against so many talented students, I was disappointed at the marks that I received. But I still believe that this course suits me the best and most of all, I enjoy doing this course. Since I realised where I stand in the line it motivated me to try harder and I have the desire to learn more, improve, and discover my abilities so I am going to push myself even more because there is no giving up or going back. I'm haven't given much thought about my future as a designer but i am sure that if i keep trying my best i will discover my weaknessess, strengths and what i enjoy wich will be a guide to my future career.

1 comment:

  1. when reading this , I just feel like im reading myself , reading wat im writing.^^.Like you, i feel uni is so much different from high school. Here , we are compared with all people who have the same love of design as us ... it is not like high school where there was a few people interested in atrs. I felt dedressed and lost at first cos i see myself just not good enough to be in the course... but then after months , i realize we all are good at something in design,we have our own level, so keep going is the thing we need to do now ....

    ReplyDelete